POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Fractals with functions : Re: Fractals with functions Server Time
5 Aug 2024 10:24:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fractals with functions
From: Tom Melly
Date: 1 Oct 2002 11:45:35
Message: <3d99c31f$1@news.povray.org>
"Warp" <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote in message news:3d99bca9@news.povray.org...
> Pyry <fro### [at] suomi24fi> wrote:
> > Is there a way to create a fractal(mandelprot) pattern with the function
> > pattern or a 4D-julia with the isosurface?
>
>   You can create the mandelbrot and julia sets using the patterns with
> the same names.
>   However, you can't create recursive fractal functions (because functions
> don't allow recursion).

Just out of curiosity, would it not be possible to hard-code the recursion in
some way? It would lead to an 'orribly long function, but can it be done?

I've no idea how to do such a thing for a fractal*, but e.g.:

#declare Rec_func = function(x,y,z){
  pow(pow(pow(x,0.5),0.5),0.5) *
  pow(pow(pow(y,0.5),0.5),0.5)
}